Himiza Social Justice is a registered non-profit organization and countrywide Legal Aid Provider whose mission is to advocate for and promote equal economic, political and social rights and opportunities through legal and policy advocacy, capacity building and community empowerment. Himiza was formerly registered as a company limited by guarantee before this kind of registration was abolished by the government in 2019.
Himiza Social Justice was established by vibrant young people with different professional backgrounds—with the view of enhancing access to social justice among poor/rural communities.
In a study conducted by the organization before its registration in 2014 in Geita and Busega districts, it was found out that children and youth compose a big number of the whole population of Tanzania and so they are directly and indirectly affected by the policies and laws that are implemented and enforced in the society. With this view, they are the primary consumers and directly affected by the government’s decisions and projects implemented in the nation.
In this study it was also revealed that women are the most vulnerable group in socio-economic development which includes but not limited to gender based violence, lack of economic opportunities, marginalization of women as a result of negative culture and inferiority complex created among women—in achieving social, political and economic development. To that effect, the organization saw the need to have this group as its primary beneficiaries among others.
The organization also found out that in its study, people with disabilities are given less attention while they remain victims of various policies and laws which affect their social, political and economic rights. They are far left from involvement in things that affect their wellbeing and decisions. To have them as the primary target group, places them at the better way of being involved in the decisions that affect their welfare.
The study further revealed that the poor rural communities lag behind many development projects which are firstly initiated in urban areas. The rural communities have fewer people as opposed to urban communities to advocate for their rights.
Registration status and organization type
Current registration: Himiza Social Justice is a non—governmental organization (NGO) registered under the Non-Governmental Organizations Act No. 24 of 2002 with Certificate of Registration No. OONGO/R2/000340.
Legal aid registration: Himiza Social Justice is also a nationwide registered Legal Aid Service Provider under the Legal Aid Act No.1 of 2017 with Certification Registration No. LAP-2020-0031.
Former registration status: Himiza was formerly incorporated under the Companies Act No. 12 of 2002 as a company limited by guarantee with Certificate of Incorporation No.108309, and then it was changed by the government due the change of laws that govern non-governmental organizations in Tanzania.
Objectives of Himiza
- To promote respect and observance of the rule of law.
- To advocate for gender equality.
- To promote friendly environmental, health and hygiene human practices.
- To enhance and promote comprehensive legal aid services to women, children and marginalized community.
- To advocate for the rights of people with disabilities to participate in social and economic growth.
- To advocate for good governance and accountability through dialogue.
- To enhance women and youth social-economic integrations and development.
- To promote eradication of poverty, food security and ecological use and protection of natural resources through national guidelines.
- To advocate for children rights and support, particularly those living in difficult conditions through particularly early child care and development (ECCD) programs.